Monday, October 4, 2010

Topic #1

I have been wanting to really get a blog started but feel that I am lacking "stuff" to write about without sounding like I just like to hear myself talk because no one really cares about what I ate for breakfast. Well, there may be a few people who care, but I am the only one who will admit to caring about it (toast with jam!). So I looked around for some ideas. I came across a site that listed 100 blog topics. Topic #1 was: How I use facebook. Do people really want to read about this? They don't get enough facebook from facebook they have to go on unrelated websites to get more of a facebook fix? There is a movie about facebook now though, so I guess people really do want more. A better topic than "how I use facebook" would be: is facebook useful? Is it essential to our existence? What effect is facebook having on our society? Is facebook holding us back or is it just the next natural stage in our evolution? Does facebook create stalkers or does it keep us safe from stalkers by keeping them at a farther distance than just outside our windows? Does facebook bring us closer together or does it isolate us more? We can read what some girl from high school that we never actually talked to and probably didn't even know her name before facebook did over the weekend, but we don't actually have to contact anyone to find out what they are up to. We know more about what everyone is doing without any actual communication.................. So, how do I use facebook? Why do I use facebook? No idea! And yet it is almost always open on my desktop.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Breakfast. Hmm... I had a couple of Flaxseed biscuits with a cup of coffee. Not totally nutritious, but it did the job until I feel like eating something more food-like. Camembert on toast for lunch. Or turkey sandwich.

Facebook. That's an interesting set of questions you raise. What do I do with it. It's the 2nd internet site I open, right after checking my e-mail. I like to poke through to see what people are up to, but it is a bit like snooping. Do I really need to know that somebody's friend twice removed just had a baby? No. I sure don't. Do I need to know that somebody is re-arranging their spice cupboard? No, not really, but it pertains to something that I'd take an interest in, so I asked her to post a photo of the finished product.

Social networking sounds like a good idea. Keeping in touch with people. But have I found it to be very useful for that? No. Not really. The people that I actually talk to are few and far between, while the people on my Facebook friend's list are many and un-utilized. Maybe it's time to cull the herd again. Keep only the ones I want to "talk" to, and who actually keep in touch with me. That'll cut it down somewhat, hmm?